Hobbie Auto Center has a history that goes back to 1934, when Don Hobbie, grandfather of the dealer today, purchased a 50% interest in the then Johnson Chevrolet Company. After doing business as Johnson and Hobbie Chevrolet for three years, Don Hobbie purchased the remaining interest from Mr. Johnson.
In 1948, Cadillac was added to the line-up. The dealership was operated as Don Hobbie Chevrolet/Cadillac until Don's death in 1955. At that time Gordon and Dick Hobbie took over active management of the business and operated as partners until 1964, when the dealership was incorporated and the name changed to Hobbie Chevrolet-Cadillac.
In 1981, Gordon Hobbie purchased Dick's interest and in 1982 the Toyota franchise was added. Tres Hobbie became one of the few third generation dealers on record in 1986.
Originally, the Johnson and Hobbie Chevrolet Company was housed in the brick building on the corner of Montgomery and Downer Streets. Due to World War II, Hobbie was forced to move into a smaller building directly across the street. That building was occupied between 1941 and 1946, when Don Hobbie moved into a new building built specifically for the dealership at 2170 Bird Street.
A new building was occupied from 1946 through July, 1966 when another move was made. Business had grown to such an extent that a larger facility was needed, and Hobbie Chevrolet Cadillac moved to the current location at 1250 Oro Dam Blvd.
The continuous operation of this business for over 70 years is reflective of the tremendous cooperation and dedication of its employees. People make the difference in serving the public in a business such as Hobbie Auto Center, and try to have the very best people for the job.